Friday, February 12, 2010

420 W 14th. Falls City Nebraska. The only side of the house free from seasonal fruits and vegetables was the front, and there in the summertime we kept a foliage plant from the top of a pineapple. There were fruit trees; one apricot (my favorite), one apple (a green cooking variety), three plums, three cherrys, and four peaches. There were five huge rhubarb plants, there were garlic plants, and herbs galore, parsley, rosemary, lavender, and I’ve forgotten what else. These treats were throughout the property, and not relegated to one area. And then, of course, the big garden was planted and tended and harvested.
The “big garden” was behind the house. It was about 100 feet wide, and twice as long. The house was wide, but not deep, so most of the property lay behind the house.
When we first moved into the house even at the ripe old age of seven I knew that it was not cool to paint a house dark green. But that’s what it was. Now, had it been trimmed differently it might have looked a little better, but I don’t think the person who last painted it had looks in mind. Well, it wasn’t the greatest idea, but it worked. I wonder if the fact of all the trees and fauna around the house just made it seem right to keep the natural look. There was lots of green.

No comments:

Post a Comment

That Awesome Pill

I think I've always thought that I had written this down, but I can't find it. So, I will take this opportunity. It's a cute lit...